Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Best Music of 2007 (so far)

Those who know my know I'm a music fan. Those who have lived with me know that I'm am either listening to music or creating my own by whistling or tapping things.

With over half of 2007 behind us, I wanted to put out a "best of (so far)" list. As you can see most of my music tends toward alternative and post-punk. This new music is biased toward those sub-genres, but 2007 has also been a year of older music. I have discovered the music of Jeff Buckly, Neko Case, Joni Mitchel (really just the album "Blue"), Arcade Fire, Silversun Pickups, and Supertramp.

As you read this list please remember that to a large degree I'm removed from American Pop Culture. In Korea, only the most vial pop songs come over, and whatever is included with American movies. Most of these songs have been recommended to me by my music friend, or through Rhapsody.

1. Neon Bible - Arcade Fire. Released back in April, the album is solid follow-up. They have kept the great, unique aspects of their sound while growing and exploring some new territory. (Album cover to the right)

2. Icky Thump - White Stripes. White Strips is one of those bands that I really like, but I've never been a "fan" of them. I own one of their albums, but that's about it. I like almost all of their music, but have never followed them, or anticipated upcoming albums etc. This summer, I'm going to explore their back catalogue and listen to their music beyond just the singles that I've heard on the radio. I recommend "Conquest" its really catchy and shows off Jack White's vocal talents.

3. On Letting Go - Circa Surive. Again, another great sophomore release. Circa Survive is sometimes lumped under "emo" music, although I was never a big fan of that genre. Others consider them post-emo. However you categorize them, the album is great. (Album cover on the left).

4. Sky Blue Sky - Wilco. This was a bit of a disappointment for me. Wilco is my favorite band. I love all of their music, and was really looking forward to this album. It didn't live up to my expectations. It is a good album, but really just good. For those interested in giving Wilco a listen to, I suggest A Ghost is Born or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

5. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga - Spoon. I've heard Spoon through a few playlists on Rhapsody. I gave their new album a listen to and was really impressed. I put it on the bottom of my list, but think it could move up as a listen to it more.

Also: Cassadaga - Bright Eyes. The music of Bright Eyes was the soundtrack of my life for the first third of 2005. They had just released Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, and I'm Wide Awake It's Morning. After thoroughly listening to the albums, I explored the back catalogue. Although the music is great, it can be easy to tire of. A friend who sort of recommended Bright Eyes now despises the music. My mind really isn't made up about "Cassadaga" although it has impressed me so far. I haven't made a final judgment on it though.

I'm also looking forward to releases this summer from:

Our Love to Admire - Interpol (July 9th, 2007)
Do You Feel - The Rocket Summer (July 17th, 2007)
Church Mouth - Portugal. The Man (July 24th, 2007)

What do you think is the best music of 2007? Anything I missed, or anything I haven't included.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...