Sunday, December 23, 2007

Asian Culture vs. Western Culture (1 of 3)

I'm not a big fan of e-mail forwards and thankfully don't receive all that many nowadays.  I did get a good one though the other day.

The e-mail is basically a set of simple images used to contrast Asian thought and culture from Western thought and culture.  As an American who has lived in Korea now for approaching a year and a half, I was amazed at how close these were to what I've experienced.

There are slightly different versions of this e-mail going around, but here's the intro from the one I received:

Understanding of Asian culture vs. Western culture.... really an interesting representation.
These icons were designed by Liu Young who was born in China and educated in Germany .

According to another blogger on Asia, the series of images was created by Liu Young for an exhibition at the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  My lack of German is hindering tracking this down more.  Regardless of its source or author, these images are pretty interesting.

The blue image on the right represents Western Culture while the red one on the right represents Asian culture.


Opinion

Everyone who has asked a Korean a direct yes or no question and heard "maybe," will understand this one:
1577452282_9aac74efbe_o

Way of Life

This really speaks for itself.  Individualism is something that its hard for many Koreans to understand.

1576562559_80fcf3dbe9_o 

Punctuality

I haven't had punctuality problems with most Koreans.  Koreans as pretty punctual in my experience.
1576562725_437042f445_o 

Anger

I've definitely seen Koreans show their anger before, but for the most part, the norm is to hide displeasure--especially with superiors.

1577453026_aa89c21fa6_o

Queue when Waiting

For everyone who has been cut in front of in Korea will understand this:

1576563329_b770368b09_o

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...