Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Pushy, Tacky Lady

First, I want to apologize for not updating the blog more often since I've returned. October was a flurry of adjusting to my new apartment and to my new job. Now in November, I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo). It's something I've been wanting to do for several years, but I'd always postpone it when I missed November. So, through November, there will likely be scant updates.

However, I'd like to leave you with a gem of an anecdote. This is a moment that I wish I had a picture of, but hopefully my rhetorical skills are sufficient to paint he picture. I stopped by the grocery store near my house after getting off work. As I walked through the door, I was nearly plowed over by a lady much smaller than me as she hurried into the store.

The first thing I noticed about her was her brassy blond dyed hair. She had an inch of natural colored roots showing. I thought, 'Maybe she's in a hurry to get some more hair dye.'

The second thing I noticed were her clothes. She was wearing a brown velvet track suit. If that wasn't enough, there was some gold lettering embroidered across the back at the shoulder blade level. She was moving so fast that I couldn't make it out. So, I clandestinely moved toward her so I could read her jacket.

She hadn't been going to the hair dye after all, but for a bin of clearance storage containers near the back of the store. She began a heated exchanged with one of the employees as she dug through the plastic food containers. I moved closer, pretending I was interested in the cereal in a nearby aisle. Then, the letters became legible in all their cursive glory:
Minimal Culture.
That's what was written in gold letters on the back of her velvet track suit! I walked away smiling. She had no idea.

1 comment:

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...