Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Jangma (장마)

It has been a week since the clear dusk was overtaken by a shadow of gray clouds from the east. The clouds first rolled around the mountains and then over them. By the time the sun had gone down, the entire sky was covered. And so it remains. The end of the world? Nope, just the seasonal monsoon season or jangma (장마).

The land now lies covered in a blanket of muggy moisture. Occasionally, the moisture reaches a critical point and begins to fall as mist--like sweat from above. Then sometimes, the rain gushes down. I've heard we have yet to see the worst of it.

I happen to like rainy weather don't think the rain will bother me much. However, the head and mugginess that often accompany the jangma will not be welcomed. I've heard from past survivors of this annual weather pattern that once the clouds roll in, they don't leave for three or four weeks.

I guess this the price for that amazing spring that has just ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...