Monday, October 02, 2006

Its beginning to look a lot like Chusok

I began to notice a couple weeks ago these stacks of gift boxes piling up at my local grocery stores. They consist of very over packaged soaps, shampoos, liqours, fruits, medicines, etc. I was puzzled until it hit me, the big Korean thanksgiving is coming up.

Chusok is roughly analogous to American Thanksgiving. People migrate to their hometowns and spend time with family. Hometown is more than just where you were born, but more importantly is where your ancestors are buried. Chusok is a time to give thanks for the harvest, and to worship your ancestors.

Today, I received the following gifts: a vitamin c drink, a chocolate bar, and a digestion medicine that looks like unground peppercorns.


However, the crown jewel of my Chusok gifts was the "more dreams for your life" bathroom set. The package included some rice soap that says, "Enjoy your Rice Day." Maybe I'm reading into things, but it seems that just might be an attempt at a pun.



Wikipedia's entry on Chusok

1 comment:

  1. Wow you got a lot of chuseok gift.
    My husband didn't get any from his school. (He is a ESL teacher too.) But I don't get it about the digestion tablet as a chuseok gift. :) By the way "Rice day soap" is quite good. I think that is the most expensive one in your box for the size.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...