Sunday, September 17, 2006

Why I'm not where you are...

Jonathan Safran Foer's second novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has a series of chapters titled, "Why I'm not where you are." One of the chapters begins: "I lost my love and my punctuation in the firestorm of Dresden." the chapters are letters that a man writes to his wife trying to explain why he left her, the women he loves. This story is paralleled with the story of a nine-year old son of a 9/11 victim. I highly recommend the book.

I was chatting with a friend the other night about Foe'rs writing, and it made me think of this. I wonder if this blog isn't my way of trying to explain why I left. I don't know if I'm doing a good job.

I left a lot of things unsettled back in America. There's this whole thing with my dad and his new wife. And between my mom and my brother. And friends.

Life here in Korea has its ups and downs--mostly ups. I'm adapting well, and am looking forward to the rest of the year.

However, there is still nagging attempt at explanation: Why I'm not where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...