Monday, November 24, 2008

SE Asia Day 9 (part 3): Siem Reap

After a long day at the Angkor complex, I headed back to the guest house.  It began to rain just as I got back.  I showered off the seat and took a nap.  From the map, I knew it was a bit of a walk into the central part of town but I decided to anyway.
I quickly fell in love with Siem Reap.  The roads around the guesthouse are dirt so I had jump around the mud puddles in part.  Once I got to the main road, all the roads were paved and seemed to be in pretty good condition, except the rains had washed mud in the streets so they were mostly covered anyway.
The riverfront has a nice park around it where young couples sit on park benches in the evening.  The two streets that border the river are one way only.  So cars cruise down one street, then cross a bridge, and cruise back on the opposite street.
The area with most of the shops and restaurants and guest houses is called the Old Market Area.  I had a bite to eat and went to the night market.  The place was pretty cool.  There were some nice shops—even though I wasn’t really in the market to buy anything.
I came upon a “Dr. Fish” spa.  These Dr. Fish eat dead skin.  They don’t have teeth so they can’t actually bite you.  They just suck up the dead skin.  This place has a “they will make you smile or your money back guarantee.”  They take a picture to document your happiness.DSCF2454
DSCF2456
Overall, I had a great time in Siem Reap.  The people were friendly, the town had a really cool vibe, and of course, there’s the nearby Angkor Wat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...