Monday, August 11, 2008

Bali: Coca-Cola, Absolut, petrol, and morning offerings

While I was in Bali, I had planned to write five or so topical blogs covering different aspects of Bali.  My computer crashed, and I lost some of my motivation.

So, while I’m gathering my thoughts are the larger posts, I thought I’d share this picture.  I took this photo in Legian, Bali.  I think it shows some pretty interesting parts of life in Bali.

At bottom center, you can see the morning offerings placed in front of every home and business.  These offerings contain flowers, some fruit, and sometimes candy coins.  If you don’t pay attention, you can easily tread on the food for the gods.IMG_1632

Just above the offering, is a gas-station, sorta.  The signs says PETROL.  Yes, those repurposed Absolut vodka bottles are filled with explosive, liquid, gasoline!  These wickless Malotov cocktails are used to refill scooters and motorbikes and even cars.  Plus, they come in handy if you want to throw a riot against a Christian college (note the riot happened in Jakarta and these particular gas-filled Absolut bottles were probably not used in the attack).

Then to the upper right you can see that comforting symbol of American capitalism: the squiggly cursive of a Coca-Cola label.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...