Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I am trying to break your heart

Today, I had a frustrating time at school. At my Tuesday school, I teach the students for two-hour blocks. that means that I always have to have an extra lesson prepared for the second half of class. Today, I decided to teach them a couple American pop songs, and then do a lesson about annoyances.

The annoyances lesson was first. For my first group, it fell flat. The students didn't know what "annoying" was and were unresponsive even after my co-teacher explained in Korean. Weeks ago, I had asked them what they wanted to do in English class. These students have already taken their finals, so I wanted to do something that would keep them interested. I took a list of pop songs that they wanted to learn.

Well, I decided that if I was going to teach them songs from the likes of Bon Jovi and Linkin Park, then I was going to include a good band (my favorite band in fact) Wilco. Not only had these kids never heard of Wilco, but I realized just how unfriendly the songs were to the foreign ear. I chose probably the most well-known Wilco song, "I am trying to break your hear." That song, along with most of the songs have no "chorus" and while the lyrics are clearly sung, their meanings are obscure.

Oh well, the kids may not have been fun, but being able to share Wilco with my students kept me sane at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...