Monday, November 20, 2006

Hand Turkey

For Thanksgiving week, I threw together a PowerPoint with pictures of classic Thanksgiving fare: turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and green bean casserole. Then I had the students write what they were thankful for. For my younger students, I'm having them make "hand turkeys." In the "palm" of the hand turkey, the students will write "I am thankful for..." then in each of the finger/feathers, the student will write one thing they are thankful for.

This experiment was quite interesting. These student had no idea what a hand turkey was, and some had no idea what a turkey was. The kept saying, "Chicken! Chicken!" I had some interesting results. Some students drew fingernails on the turkey feathers. Others made turkey heads out of each of their fingers instead of just their thumbs.

It was a simple lesson, but went pretty well. I'm slowly learning that as my English lessons are concerned, the simpler is usually the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...