Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Another American on Geoje

I finally met another American on my island. The native English teachers in Gyeongsangnam Province have this painful experience of performing (I chose that word carefully) a "demonstration lesson." This is where we are stressed out to make this "perfect" lesson and have the thirty other English teachers from the island plus some administrators, and the big wigs from the district office observe us. Today, it was my turn to watch. I went to Gohyeon Middle School, which is just a few blocks from my school, to finally meet the other American teacher on the island.

My co-teachers from Seong Po and I arrived late because of confusion over times. When we arrived, we found that the classroom was packed in the back with teachers, and that teachers were standing in the hallway looking in the windows.

Korean classrooms are designed with two sliding doors--one in the front and one in the back--that open into the hallway. Between the two doors are two large sliding windows. So, the teachers were peaking into the open windows and doors. It reminded me of some weird experiment or a zoo. I can't wait until its my turn on Friday.

After the lesson, I met the other teacher. He seemed as relieved to meet me as I was to meet him. We talked fast English with one another, not caring if the English teachers around us could understand, exchanged phone numbers, and then I had to leave.

So, for those of you keeping score, I have now found 4/5 of the "Things I know probably exist in Korea, but have so far eluded me."

The only thing left on the list, is the proper use of the phrase "well-being." I am not holding my breath.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you've made it back ok. Sorry to hear about your pictures. Even tho, they are no longer printable, they can still be keep sakes!

    Good luck.
    Regard.
    Looking forword to your Seoul trip updates.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments. If you have a personal message to me, then e-mail would be best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...